Tuesday, August 08, 2006

dancing in the city

WOW....

saturday was CSD here in Hamburg. my home away from home, so it was really wonderful to be able to be here for this event finally. after 3 trips to germany i have heard so much about CSD but never seen it. this trip i managed to see it in Zurich, Berlin, and Hamburg.. and really have to say Hamburg was the best.
Ok so the parade wasnt as colourful as berlin...actually the parade route wound its way through the city, with pumping hard music blaring its way through the crowded streets. but the actual parade itself was pretty short compared to the likes of berlin, but then hamburg is smaller.

after the parade, the group of friends i was with, and i trapsed dwn to the main party, at jungfernstieg.. its the heart of the CBD by the shores of the binnen alster (the lake that is the life and soul of the city...ok apart from the harbour)

proceeded to get stuck right into the beers... have really developed a taste for the stuff....
i amazed myself by spending the whole day talking only german.. and only hearing german. (no mean feat after a few cool beers let me tell you) so i feel i have kind of graduated from this wayward tourist who couldnt really speak the lingo.. to someone who can have total conversatins with people who cant speak english, and can go into shops and bars and order my own drinks and be totally self sufficient. WOW !

anyway.. back to the party. i get the feeling that the germans are nt really big on dancing. i mean some were yes.. but most just standing around or sitting around chatting and enjoying the sights.. where as if this had been sydney the whole place woudl have been dancing and living it up. anyway.. i decided stuff it, im going to enjoy myself and i danced my little butt off. almost literally.. danced for 8 hours. but man.. what a way to celebrate... dancing on the steps of the jungfernstieg, with the city of hamburg around me... with a really nice group of people.

it was great to really let loose since i havent boogied like that since i left sydney nearly 4 months ago. i think i surprised a few people with my passion for dancing.. oh god i hope i didnt make a spectacle of myself dancing away with passion when not so many others seemed to be really getting into it.. but maybe it was just where we were dancing.
despite my fears.. i did have this very attractive guy checking me out for hours.. but still that language shyness stopped me saying hello. even though i had no problems going to the bar on my own, i stil have the slight fear of not being able to understand someone and being all embarrassed about that.. silly really since i was talking so much with the people i was with and understanding all.. its a weird sensation.

besides i was there to be with my mates not to go picking up. (but would have loved to have said hello.. shyness got the better of me.. dang!)

we danced and danced until 11pm and the party was over.. kind of thank god becuase i think i had a few more hurs of dancing left in me but really would have felt it the next day.. was nice to have just let loose for a while and leave all your cares outside the dancefloor for a while.
my smile muscles were sore the next day though. haha

well hamburg really knows how to throw a party, and really was an event i wont soon forget... being able to do that in the heart of the city i have called a 2nd home for some months.

next weekend is ledertreff... europes biggest eather party... that will be my big send off.. then off to Zurich to relax (what else is there to do in Zurich?)

whilst im getting a little homesick, its going to break my heart to leave germany. but somehting tells me it wont be long before im back here. and look forward to my return already

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great stories and well written. Check your Flickr mail.

Links: Flickr group Hamburg - Sankt Georg, News Site Hamburg Sankt Georg Information (Informations in German)