Monday, August 29, 2005

4 hours and a pack of lollies later (Friday)



**

Since I haven’t had the chance to get back on line I have been writing my blog in a note book as I go. So heres the catch up

Sigh. My last day in Köln. I got up early, after not much sleep. Ok so im running behind schedule by about an hour. But low and behold the sun is shining and it’s another glorious day. I check out of my hotel and go have breakfast at my fave café, to write this in my book.
The girl remembers my coffee order. How sweet. It was quite funny here yesterday, as I had a coffee with a local I met thru the internet. He and I were speaking English, and sitting outside. I go in to order a hot chocolate for him. (in German) the girl asks me in German if I want with or without cream..so I ask him in English, (even though he can hear her) and then I reply to her in German, like im the local and he’s the tourist.

Anyway…what did I do yesterday since the last blog. Well I bought some German chill out trance cds. Quite good actually. went for drinks with Jens Alex and andi last night. Jens is a friend of andreas from HH. Alex is a wonderful lady from hessing…who taught me a few new naughty words. And Alex is from ……..eek, ive forgotten but it’s a smaller town. I was so surprised when Alex told me she was so impressed with me. Not only my German by with me as a person. I think it’s got to be one of the nicest things someone has said to me in eons.

Then spent some time with another Alex .. who is a local. Very sweet man. He gave me a German copy of a terry pratchett book im reading so I can improve my German..

Well Ive enjoyed Köln, somewhat. Would have been better with company I think. Now I have to tote my bags to central, and hop on a train to Berlin, where Jon will be there 3 hours ahead of me.

Now on the train. Slightly disconcerted when the 5yo child in front of me, who has been speaking normally for the past 20mins (in German) has suddenly started speaking in a voice exactly like the child in the shining. Im sure he’s saying the German equivalent of RED RUM.
The ICE trains are really beautiful in 1st class, and I recommend train travel as a great way to see Europe. It’s so easy and comfortable. (sans possessed children of course)

Oh the train trip improved dramatically when in the 2nd half 2 early 20’s skater boys came on and a hot late 20’s guy in a military uniform, (cammos, crew cut and 8 hole boots..the works) I think they were 2nd class, and 2nd class must have been full, as they sat in the entry vestibule behind me, in first class. The conductor checked their tickets same as mine, and said nothing. Not sure why they were there as 1st class was only 1/3 full.
Anyway didn’t notice much outside the windows for the last hour. Spent half of it checking the guys out. Oh man the army guy was so hot. On the last 20 mins the 2 skater boys snuck into the 1st class cabin, in the last row..across the aisle from me, and had a ciggie. One of them was a typical skater pin up boy..oh my god..hottie.
A relax and a half my friend aphro would say. Well any more relax and he’d be catatonic. So I pretty much missed the sights of the entrance to Berlin. Although there were 2 Berlin stations, and before the first one, the announcer rattled on something in German way to fast for me, but mentioned something about alexanderplatz which was the ubahn station near my hotel, but I was going to ostbahnhof, which was the 2nd of the 2 Berlin stations.
Besides, I had told Jon where I was arriving, and I had an inkling. Oh yes kimmie, I could feel it in my waters.
I got off the train, and saw this guy walking towards me. It took a few seconds before I realized it was Jon, who had come to collect me. He’d been here 3 hours already. He knew Köln wasn’t that much fun for me so surprised me at the station, and gave me the most beautiful rose, to cheer me up. It worked.

After dumping the stuff off at the hotel.. we walked….supposedly…straight towards B-berg gate. But we ended up walking in this S shape…well actually it was more like and SS spanning half of Berlin mitte.
[note to self…Jon carries the map from now on]
Finally, after more side trip adventures than the USS Voyager, we made it to potzdammer platz. And ate dinner at an Australian café. How typical, other side of the world and we eat Australian. Hmm.. it wasn’t particularly Australian, nor very good. (gold coast chicken… since when is the gold coast known for chicken.. and I sincerely doubt this chicken has seen anything gold in its life)

Found out what I had suspected last time…..I don’t understand the Berlin German. Neither does Jon (as he speaks no German)
Then we looked at the Jewish memorial. Wow..very impressive. It was being built on my last trip. It looks like nothing to begin with, looks like small concrete slabs lined up, over a whole city block. But as you walk thru it, it quickly turns into a dark maze of huge grey monoliths. Rows and rows of them. There’s a museum underneath I think. also saw the gate..and the remnants of the wall.
But both our bladders hit defcon 3, so back to the hotel.. by the time we got there we were at bladder emergency 8.5 out of 10.

Settling in for the night. Jon is tired after the flight from Sydney and I don’t feel like going out alone. So having a beer in the room. [note to self…..avoid becks green lemon at all costs] normal becks is just fine.
So writing my blog in my book, and virtually polished off a pack of lollies. Such a pig.
Listening to a new cd I got by a band called Shiller, called Zeitgeist. It’s a bit like a German Enigma.

No comments: